Sunday 8 July 2012

my beautiful bertie


Lovely Bertie and I have had this great thing going. If Angel, Dipstick or one of the other cats catch a mouse, and I happen to see in time, I would send Bertie off to bully the cat into dropping the mouse, which he would grab, and bring back to me, gently delivering it to my lap, safe if a little damp, for me to release into a pile of logs somewhere. Except for last week. Angel had caught a mouse, and Bertie was dispatched to the rescue. He deploys a wonderful and simple technique. He swings his head at the cat, hitting it, which always makes it drop the mouse. Carefully picking up this one, as he has countless times with others before, he raced over to me, the tail of the mouse sticking out of the side of his mouth.
‘Good boy, Bertie, give it to me,’ I held out my hands. Except this time he seemed to be unable to give it to me.

‘Come on Bertie, quickly, give me the mouse!’ I insisted, worried it couldn't breathe in there, while he sat in front of me, the tail of the mouse still hanging from his mouth, his mouth firmly clamped shut.
‘Bertie what are you doing!!’ I put my hands around his mouth to open it but defiantly he clenched his jaw.
‘Bertie, drop it NOW.’ And on my last command he threw back his head and swallowed it!

Whole!

No comments:

Post a Comment