Saturday 16 June 2012

it must have been an angel


Well, there was hardly time for it to become a raging debate here, and now it doesn't matter if they were red or grey squirrels, because Angel has eaten them. I wasn’t the only one to be transfixed so compellingly by my little squirrel friends. I have to report, to my horror, I have found three squirrel tails left at the back door and I’m afraid all blame for this is levelled at our beautiful tabby cat Angel, mostly because I caught her eating one of them. She’s normally very good at feeding herself on rabbit, although maybe she was bored with the same food, and thought, oh no, not rabbit again, and maybe it is easier to catch a squirrel than a rabbit! Although I would have expected a squirrel to put up more of a fight than a rabbit might. A quick word of caution here. While it is lovely to have a cat and then have kittens, and we had all the fun of playing with them until they went to good homes, it leaves the mother constantly wanting to provide. So Angel decided to hunt then not only for herself, her brother Dipstick, and Uncle Mo, but us too! Her mother Millie was the same. In one memorable week she caught the complete range, rabbit, mouse, rat, mole, squirrel, blackbird, all neatly presented to us on consecutive days, fortunately outside. But today Angel is now officially the smuggest and fattest cat possible, and there may be strawberries after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment